Here are 5 interesting facts about accounting that you probably didn’t know.
- Accounting has been around for millennia. Tokens dating back 7000 years were discovered in ancient Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq, Turkey and Syria). These are thought to be the earliest documented records of goods received and traded.
- Accountants play an important role in the Oscars. Every year since 1935 a team of accountants has spent an average of 1700 hours prior to Oscar night counting the Academy Award ballots by hand.
- Mick Jagger, Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin and comedian Eddie Izzard are just a few of the famous names who worked in accounting before their showbiz careers took off.
- Italian mathematician Luca Pacioli is regarded as the father of accounting. He published the first book on double entry accounting in 1494. Leonardo da Vinci was one of his students.
- Bubblegum was invented by an accountant, Walter Diemar in 1928. It was bright pink in colour because that was the only dye he had to hand at the time.